Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Deal On Candles

Oh Yes... The Candle ordeal continues. As I entered my fourth craft store in one day I honestly asked "What the heck did I get myself into!"

But I am getting ahead of myself. Lets start from where I left off on the last candle related entry. Thom returned the second attempt of candles I got on-line, and we decided to get them ourselves at the store. Target had the right color, but not really the right price. Then Devin remained me that Micheal's had the right color- not sure if you remember but when Jax and I first started looking for candles we found them there, but decided against them because they were scented and only came in two different heights.

The good news that Devin explained to me was that now the candles at Micheal's were on sale! But she brought up a good point when she said that they were probably on sale because they wanted to get rid of them, since they were a Easter seasonal item. I took Devin's advice and went out on Sunday in search of these illusive candles.

There are three Micheal's Craft stores within a five mile radius of my house - how is that for urban sprawl?!? The first one I went to only had 2 of the smaller size Sale Candles. But they also carry there everyday brand of candles that is offered in a similar color. Well, I had about had it with the candle search so I figured I mind as well get their everyday candles while I was there and scoop up the two sales ones while I was at it.

Then on to the second Micheal's where I had worse luck. They didn't have any of the sale candles and had an even smaller selection of the everyday candles. By this point I was really considering forgoing the candle idea.

Next to that Micheal's was a JoAnn's (yup that's four craft stores within five miles of my house). I popped in there for the fun of it and did a quick lap of the store with no success.

Instead of giving up, and going home, like I wanted to, I powered through and went to the the last of the craft stores. When I walked in, I heard a choir of Angles singing as I laid my eyes on a huge shelf of sale candles!!!! Victory! There were 20 bigger candles and 18 smaller candles on sale. What luck that I bought those two sale candles at the first store to have an even twenty of both sizes!

Just in case you can not tell through the text here, I was overjoyed and relieved all at the same time!!!

All of the sales ladies thought I was crazy with my cart full of candles, until I explained it was for our wedding, then they simply smiled... does that mean they think we are crazy?

I brought home all of the candles (we currently have nearly 80 candles in our back bedroom) and the first thing I did was create a sample center piece. Thank goodness it look as good in real life as I had pictured it through this whole process!

We are totally accepting that the candles are scented (maybe it will improve the ambiance :)), and we may combine the sale candles with the everyday candles to get more variation in sizes. Thom and I need to decide on the layout of the candle center pieces, and return or purchase any more candles we need, because right now we have an odd number of the everyday candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment